Community Bulletin Board
- Love a Lilac
- Improving Air Quality
- What's Happening in Waterbury and Beyond
- TURN to a Historian at the Litchfield Historical Society
- A Night at the Boys and Girls Club
- Call for Hall of Fame Nominations
- President Trump Signs Two Esty-Authored Bills
- Safety Classes at Railroad Museum
- College Scholarship Opportunities
- Take Your Child to the Library Day
- Markley and Zupkus Town Hall Meeting
- Click It Or Ticket Enforced Over Holiday Season
'Art of Advertising' at the Litchfield Museum
Taking a walk through Litchfield’s center you can’t help but notice the businesses lining West Street. Brightly colored window displays catch your eye. Perhaps you smell lunch being served in a nearby restaurant. To distinguish themselves from each other, each business has a sign hanging outside the door.
While many things have changed over the past two hundred years, one thing has remained the same: Litchfield is dotted with signs. Opening on Saturday, April 13, the Litchfield Historical Society’s new exhibition, The Art of Advertising: Signs around Town, will explore these symbols that mark the retailers, museums, schools, and establishments that make up the community. These beautifully crafted objects let us know what can be found behind each door, and each has something to reveal about the establishments that have helped create the community in which we live.
Come see 19th- and 20th- century signs from the museum collection and learn more about the businesses that helped shape Litchfield’s past. This exhibit will be on view through the end of June, 2013.
The Litchfield History Museum is located at 7 South Street, Litchfield, CT. The History Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday, 11:00 am to 5:00 pm, and Sunday, 1:00 to 5:00 pm. For more information, please call (860) 567-4501 or see www.litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org.