Community Bulletin Board
- Jimmy Fund invites local schools to participate in Scooper Schools Program
- Sweet Maria’s Bakery Launches “Cakes for Kids” Initiative, Celebrates 25th Anniversary
- Walk Now for Autism Speaks Kickoff event March 16th
- Mario Pavone to perform Street Songs at Mattatuck Museum
- Spring Break Art Classes at the Mattatuck Museum
- City's Leaders Perform with Shakesperience in Sweets to the Sweet
- SHRINE, High Rollers, and Scorpion Bar Recognized as Leading Nightlife Destinations
- Grief Support Group at Harold Leever Regional Cancer Center
- Hospice Care Volunteers Needed
- 25th Anniversary of the Rivera Memorial Foundation Scholarship Awards Banquet
- Dog Listener coming to Silas Bronson February 21st
- The Wildest Opens TONIGHT at Seven Angels Theatre
New Opportunities Awarded $4,000 Grant
New Opportunities, Inc. (NOI) is pleased to announce it has been awarded a $4,000 grant from Meals On Wheels Association of America (MOWAA) in recognition of its participation in MOWAA’s “Share The Love” campaign. As part of Subaru of America, Inc.’s “Share The Love” event, New Opportunities, Inc. partnered with Chase Parkway Volvo Subaru over the holiday season to promote Meals on Wheels. Campaign participation included a “Stuff the Trunk” event where members of the community were invited to “stuff the trunk” of a Subaru with items suitable for the homebound. Local Girl Scout troop 64201, having embraced helping seniors as part of their community service, performed household chores earning $200 to purchase CVS gift cards that they presented to the dealership. Media coverage garnered throughout the campaign included a PSA on WATR AM radio and print coverage in the Republican-American, Town Times and The Waterbury Observer. Campaign signs were additionally displayed on Meals on Wheels trucks and in the Subaru dealership’s showroom.
"We are thrilled for having been awarded this much needed grant from MOWAA to support the growing number of homebound seniors who rely on Meals on Wheels,” said NOI’s Senior Nutrition Director, Lisa LaBonte. "Chase Parkway Volvo Subaru's enthusiasm and continued support of Meals on Wheels was greatly appreciated. We look forward to working with the dealership again next year to make this an even bigger event."
As one of the five Subaru “Share The Love” Event charitable partners, MOWAA created the initiative to foster partnerships between local Meals On Wheels programs and Subaru dealerships. MOWAA is awarding $200,000 in “Share the Love” grants to local Meals on Wheels programs that partner with Subaru dealerships to end senior hunger.
Share the Love grants awarded by MOWAA range from $250 to $35,000. The nation’s economic downturn has made it more difficult to raise money to provide meals to the community’s homebound seniors. New Opportunities, Inc. will use the monies to provide meals to homebound seniors.
The Subaru “Share The Love” event ran from November 21, 2012 to January 2, 2013. Subaru is donating $250 for every new Subaru vehicle sold or leased during “Share The Love” to the customer's choice of one of five charities, including MOWAA. Over the past four years, proceeds from the Subaru “Share The Love” event have provided funds to MOWAA to support its vision to end senior hunger by 2020.