Community Bulletin Board
- UNICO Scholarship Awards Dinner, May 28
- Post University partners with Masonicare
- Crosby H.S. in CT Innovation Exposition
- Award Winning Musical, Jersey Boys, at Palace
- CT Law Firm Joins Driver Safety Campaign
- Farm Viability Grant for Brass City Harvest
- State Grant to Revitalize Vacant Parcels
- Gallery Tour at Museum~ April 23
- Palace Theater Announces May Line-Up
- Rep. Cuevas appointed to M.O.R.E. Committee
- Annual Arts Show in Naugatuck
- Fulton Park Clean-up And Restoration April 21
Registration for Literacy Volunteers Orientation
Literacy Volunteers of Greater Waterbury (LVGW) is now accepting registrations for its fall session of volunteer orientations. Individuals who are interested in learning more about volunteer opportunities in adult literacy are encouraged to attend one of the following orientations:
Tuesday, September 4, 10:30 a.m., Prospect Public Library, 17 Center Street, Prospect
Wednesday, September 5, 6:30 p.m., Silas Bronson Library, Board Room, 267 Grand Street, Waterbury
Thursday, September 6, 6:30 p.m., Naugatuck Savings Bank, Community Room, 87 Church Street, Naugatuck
Friday, September 7, 1:00 p.m., Woodbury Public Library, 269 Main Street South, Woodbury
Saturday, September 8, 10:30 a.m., Wolcott Public Library, 469 Bound Line Road, Wolcott
LVGW trains and supports volunteers who teach adults to read, write, speak, and understand English. As a learner-centered educational program, tutors help adult learners improve their literacy skills so they may reach their individual goals, which may range from securing employment to passing the U.S. citizenship test to helping their children with their homework.
No prior teaching experience is necessary; but volunteers must be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or equivalent, possess excellent oral and written English skills, and demonstrate the potential, with some training, to tutor adult learners. The fall tutor training program begins the week of September 17; the complete schedule will be available at the orientation.
LVGW, a United Way Agency, serves the Greater Waterbury area, including Beacon Falls, Cheshire, Middlebury, Naugatuck, Oakville/Watertown, Oxford, Plymouth, Prospect, Terryville, Thomaston, Waterbury, Wolcott, and Woodbury. For more information about the program or to register for one of the orientations, please call Vanessa Vowe at (203) 754-1164.