Community Bulletin Board
- UNICO Scholarship Awards Dinner, May 28
- Post University partners with Masonicare
- Crosby H.S. in CT Innovation Exposition
- Award Winning Musical, Jersey Boys, at Palace
- CT Law Firm Joins Driver Safety Campaign
- Farm Viability Grant for Brass City Harvest
- State Grant to Revitalize Vacant Parcels
- Gallery Tour at Museum~ April 23
- Palace Theater Announces May Line-Up
- Rep. Cuevas appointed to M.O.R.E. Committee
- Annual Arts Show in Naugatuck
- Fulton Park Clean-up And Restoration April 21
New Opportunities Scholarship Winners
New Opportunities, Inc. announced the scholarship winners of their Afro-Latin-Indian Scholarship & Competition. Formal presentation of the awards took place at the 27th Annual Scholarship Reception on Thursday, July 19th. Since 1985 New Opportunities, Inc. has sponsored this scholarship opportunity for students who live in Waterbury or attend Waterbury schools and has awarded over $680,000 in scholarship aid.
• Brittany Braithwaite of Waterbury was awarded the 3rd Annual Patricia H. Mayfield Memorial Scholarship in the amount of $1,500 for four years. A graduate of Kennedy High School, she will attend Johnson & Wales College.
• Four 1st place winners of the Afro-Latin-Indian Scholarship have been named with awards of $1,500 for four years.
• Lizbeth Robles, of Waterbury – Art Category. She is a graduate of Kaynor Technical High School and will attend Naugatuck Valley Community Technical College.
• Destiny Lopez of Waterbury - Poetry Contest. A graduate of Greater Hartford Academy of Arts, she will attend New York University.
• Jazmin Jennings of Waterbury – Essay Category. She is a graduate of Crosby High School and will attend the Fashion Institute of Technology.
• Zhane Gomes of Terryville –Written Combination. A graduate of Waterbury Arts Magnet School, she will attend Naugatuck Valley Community College.
• Five 2nd place winners have received one-year scholarships of $1,000
• Thomas Aviles of Waterbury – Art Category. A graduate of Chase Collegiate, he will attend Providence College.
• Lauren Mahoney of Waterbury– Art Category. She is a graduate of Waterbury Arts Magnet School and will attend Naugatuck Valley Community Technical College.
• Alicia Koczur-Shaw of Watertown- Essay Category. She is a graduate of Sacred Heart High School and will attend Oklahoma City University.
• Janelle Myers of Waterbury – Poetry Category. A graduate of Wilby High School, she will attend Central CT State University.
• Ahryana Rucker of Waterbury – Poetry Category. A graduate of Holy Cross High School, she will attend North Carolina State University.
Additional cash prizes were awarded for students in grades 6 - 11.
New Opportunities, Inc. also presented their Employee Scholarships to children of regular schedule employees.
• Mary Mulrooney, daughter of Eileen Mulrooney – JFES Supervisor and Allen Rodriguez, son of Octavia Rodriguez – ECD Assistant Teacher, were awarded $500 for one year. Mary, a graduate of Holy Cross and Allen, a Crosby High graduate, will both attend the University of CT.
• Daylen Paiva, son of Amy Brown-Nazario – Energy Services Case Manager and Jacob Russano, son of Mari Russano – HR Assistant, were awarded $750 for one year. Daylen graduated from Crosby High and he will attend Southern CT State University. Jacob, a Watertown High Graduate, will attend Central CT State University.
• Ahyrana Rucker, daughter of Anthony Rucker – Fatherhood Program Supervisor and Delecia Woods, daughter of Marva Woods – ECD Teacher, were awarded $1,000 a year for 4 years. Both graduates of Holy Cross, Ahyrana will attend North Carolina State University and Delecia will attend Western CT State University.